Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Position of Submission - Ed Young Ministries

But he gives more grace. That is why Scripture says: "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." Submit yourselves, then, to God... Come near to God and he will come near to you. - James 4:6-8

When you drill down nearly every emotional, relational and spiritual struggle in your life, you’ll come to one root cause: pride. We all have a tendency to want to be in charge. We want to be our own god, to call the shots. But control is far from ours, no matter how much we may want it.
The Bible tells us that God opposes the proud. So when pride causes you and me to attempt to wrestle the reins of life from God, we end up facing some major opposition.

To get back to a place of peace with God, James tells us to place ourselves in a position of submission. In this context, the word "submit" is a military term. It conveys the idea that we need to get under God’s plan for our lives. He is the one who is in control; He has set forth the battle strategy. And when we submit to His plan rather than trying to follow our own, we will discover victory over every other battle in life.

A Prayer for Today
Dear God, I admit to you that I want control of my life. I want to call the shots. But I also realize that my pride causes a rift between you and me. So I humbly ask that when I try to wrestle control from you, that you help me get back to a place of submission. Because only by following you will I discover true peace. In Christ’s name I pray, Amen.

No comments: